Monday, January 11, 2010

A sad day for the Longhorns (and Ricky)

Last Thursday was the College Football National Championship game between Alabama and Ricky's beloved Texas Longhorns. We were all very excited about it and prepared all day for the big game. I dressed the girls and Titus in their Texas gear, Ricky's request. The girls and I made signs to surprise him when he got home and our dear sweet neighbors made his favorite pumpkin pie. Those of you that know him know what a big fan he is.






We watched all the pregame and were excited to watch the big game. The Longhorns were the underdog but came out fighting and scored very quickly after the game started. Now, I really do enjoy college football ecspecially Texas football but not as much as Ricky does. Sometimes it is more fun for me to watch him react to the game than the game itself. He is not one of those fans who scream and shout and make outbursts but more of an introverted diehard fan. He takes his longhorns seriously. You can just see the intensity on his face and when the game goes to commercial he gets up off the floor or the couch (see he goes back and forth) and paces around the house until the game is back on. He makes me laugh! :)
Well, as you probably guessed from the title of this post,the longhorns lost. We were leading and playing so well and then in about the first 5 minutes of the game our star quater back got hit and hurt his throwing arm and was never able to return. The freshman backup who never played a college game in his life had to play the rest of the game. We hung in there but with a rookie QB we just couldn't come out with the win. The QB who got hurt (Colt McCoy)is a beilever and always has such class as he is interviewed and thanks God and praises the other team. I have always been impressed with him and when he was interviewed after this last game (his last college game ever) He said, "I would have given anything to be out there with my team but I don't question why things happen, God is in control of my life. It's disappointing but I am still standing on the Rock! Congratulations to Alabama, they played a great game!" You just don't hear those kind of things from our athletes these days and I know that God is using that young man in great ways! Ricky was very sad but life goes on.


I took these pictures during the not so fun parts of the game.


1 comment:

Maegan said...

All the pictures are cute, but I love the one of Titus and Ricky....and those longhorn slippers are too cute!